“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” - Arthur C. Clarke
Our name “Mage” was inspired by the Arthur C. Clarke quote about magic.This is what Mage endeavours to deliver. Our proprietary firmware makes our high-speed wireless performance magically fast and efficient. (*Mage is pronounced to rhyme with “page” or “cage.” )
Mage Networks opens the doors of opportunity by making Internet universally accessible everywhere.
Most would tell you that it’s fairly easy to access high-speed Internet in urban areas. There is no shortage of users in cities, to make quality broadband a good investment for an Internet Service Provider. But service quickly degrades beyond high-density communities,.
Rural areas have significantly slower service, if any. Parks and roads are underserved or unserved. Resolving this problem is expensive and slow, as the cost vs. benefit to service such areas is difficult to justify for many ISPs. The tower infrastructure required is expensive, unsightly and takes a great deal of planning.
Our mission at Mage Networks is to use our revolutionary technology and connect underserved and unserved areas with high-speed Internet coverage, quickly and inexpensively.
While Mage Networks is new as of 2017, the team has a long history and many accomplishments in the wireless networking field:
- Mage Networks technology has deep roots in the early days of broadband wireless which originated in patents from the early 90’s by Wi-LAN Inc. , in which our founder Dr. Sayed-Amr El-Hamamsy, was involved as COO and as CEO. This company went on to license Wi-Fi and 4G technology globally to almost every major technology company around the world.
- Further experience in developing solutions for gathering data from wireless surveys led to an understanding of how powerful wireless networks can be deployed easily in very difficult terrain.
- The wireless seismic solution was be used by clients in the oil and gas industry Unfortunately, the fall of oil and gas prices in 2015-2016 led to the company ceasing operations.
- In 2017, Dr. El-Hamamsy saw an opportunity to create a revolutionary network concept (which we call MagiNet™) and co-founded Mage Networks.
- The team began developing the technology focused on rural and remote markets with plans to grow into other applications such as providing backhaul for 5G LTE networks and intelligent transportation systems (ITS) and the Internet of Things.
- Mage has completed the commercial introduction of its first-generation product. Mage has installed networks in several counties and regions of the US and Canada.
- Mage is currently completing the development of a software design tool utilizing Geo Information System (GIS) data and processes, Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning to automate the design of its network. This tool will help our partners and customers deploy their networks quickly and effectively.
- Mage has completed a network in Grand Cayman delivering outdoor WiFi in the Port area of Georgetown. The network is to be expanded in two phases, although the expansion has been halted by the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Mage has a proof of concept network rolled out in Accra, Ghana, and Monrovia, Liberia. As well as a network connecting county buildings currently being rolled out in Powhatan, Virginia and another private network in Warrenton, Virginia. That is in addition to the Taber, Coop, Redwood Meadows and Bragg Creek WiFi networks.
Mage Networks has two lines of business. The first is as an OEM, selling equipment to Internet Service Providers (ISPs), Value Added Resellers and Direct to end customers, as well as through a network of Distributors. The second is as a Service Provider, offering service initially in the Bragg Creek and Redwood Meadows areas in Southern Alberta. Eventually, Mage will expand the service area beyond these initial deployments